Monday, June 29, 2009

Monday Musings - Wii Edition


It's Monday so you know what that means. We finally get to stop hearing about Michael Jackson? Unfortunately, no. It means it's time for another edition of Monday Musings, where you get to read about all the nonsense that rattles around in my head on a daily basis.



This week we're going to do something a little different. I'm actually going to be asking for help from my loyal readers. And I expect a reply from both of you. Yesterday was our 6-year wedding anniversary and I need help in deciding on a gift (late as usual). The 50th anniversary is for gold, the 25th for silver, but what is the 6th? Being the helpless romantic that I am, I think I'm ready to go out on a limb and proclaim the 6th year anniversary as the year of the Wii.






Normally, when it comes to gadgets, toys, and technology I'm one of the last one to get it. We finally upgraded a few months ago to HD television. I think I'm the only one in America not on Facebook. So up until recently, I've kind of been against the idea of getting a Wii. But they really are a lot of fun. I've really thought this through and have gone back and forth on this issue. Here's the three typical conversations that I have to convince myself to get one:

Point 1: It's really a great investment. For only $250, I can play unlimited Wii golf. That pays for itself in just a few days when compared to real golf.
Counterpoint: Investment? I knew there was a reason your an engineer and not a financial advisor.
Counter-Counterpoint: It has to be at least as good as my other investment accounts over the last year.


Point2: We'd get so much exercise through the Wii Fit, boxing, and tennis. We'll be so healthy.
Counterpoint: Has it really come to this? Go outside and run you lazy sack of [inaudible].
Counter-Counterpoint: It's really hot outside.

Point3: I should definitely get it. It's something the whole family will enjoy together. In fact, I'd be a terrible father and a failure of a husband if I didn't get it. That's it. It's all about quality time with the family.
Counterpoint: Yes, just what our family needs. Another reason to sit in front of the television/computer/OtherGadgetThatWastesARediculousAmountOfTime
Counter-Counterpoint: Oh be quiet. Jesus died to free us from guilt so take that somewhere else please.

You can see I'm really torn here. So here's what I'm going to do. We'll conduct the first ever Gaskill Rascals blog poll and let you decide whether we get a Wii or not. Whatever you decide, that's what I'll do.*









*unless you vote NO, in which case I will ignore the results and get one anyway.

5 comments:

Hillary said...

Here's a thought to chew on: If you don't get one, then we will be the "cool parents" and Danny and Josh will always want to come over to our house rather than us come over there... So if you want to be the cool parents, then you better get one too... :) Hillary

Mr. GR said...

Hillary says: "Danny and Josh will always want to come over to our house".

More reason to NOT get one, me thinks.

nana said...

Just go ahead and get it!

(Hey...I'm NOT on FACEBOOK either!)

Anonymous said...

Wii is fun. You should get one.I'm sure mady and parker vote yes too- they love wii bowling. Get a wii fit too for the exercise part. Or just get the wii and wait till you come to my house in august and look at wii fit to decide if you want that too. By the way, my pet peeve is people using homophones wrong. Please look at counterpoint #1...it should be you're not your. If I had a blog, I'd complain about that :)

Michelle

nana said...

Thank you, Michelle for pointing out the "your"....I wanted to, but decided against it....my boldness failed me.