Thursday, September 24, 2009

maybe I shouldn't have said that?

"Bye, see you later"

I know I am not the only mom who has said this to your child when you are trying to get them to leave one place and go to another. Of course, you know you are not going to really leave them, but maybe you have run out of options. Or maybe it is just a part of the process of trying to motivate them to follow you. Deep down, maybe it is a little test to see if they will follow?
ok, when I look at it that way, I am motivated to never say that again to any of them. I do not like to encourage lying or play games when I am really asking for obedience. But when we were headed out of the ChickfilA play area yesterday, I was trying to get Joshie to join us. Danny was all ready to hop in the stroller. I love being able to walk to many restaurants and shops with in 2 miles of our house....but that is a story for another post. Josh was lingering and giving me that "come in here and get me" look.
I was ready to go.
I said those words and then started to close the door and turn away.

And the next moment surprised me.

It was not Josh that got upset, though he did head my way, but Danny. Danny started to cry and beg for me to not leave his brother behind. "Please mommy, noooooo, do NOT leave my brother!" As I reassured him that I would not REALLY do that, I made a guilty glance around for any onlookers. I really didn't want an audience as I tried to explain to my 3 year old that Mommy was kidding...uh, teasing....well, yes it was a lie, BUT I..uh...yeah.
I am sorry.
I will never leave your brother behind.

And I will definitely stop using that tactic to get them to follow me.


I guess that calls for a little brother love photo sharing!

3 comments:

nana said...

out of the mouths of babes...they teach us so much don't they?!


I really don't sit in front of my computer all day waiting for you to blog......hehe

Anonymous said...

Good point...I had never thought about that!

Lauren

Anonymous said...

Nice additon to the free playlist. Now I will come to your blog more frequently.

Looking forward to Danny's first appearance in Sanford Stadium next Saturday. Next week you will be able to Blog about his new vocabulary that he will pick up from the guy in Row 54.

Chip