Saturday, June 7, 2008

coming soon...

I am so excited to get home tomorrow and load our pictures from this trip to Atlanta. We have had an amazing time seeing family and friends, celebrating Jada's(niece) soon arrival(due in August), partying for Arden's(another niece) birthday, and enjoying the HOTlanta summer. Check back soon to see pictures and hear our adventures.
I do want to take this moment to comment on the movie Scott and I saw on our date night here. Nana had Danny and Grandmommy had Josh, so we went out for a dinner and a movie. YEAH! We ate at one of our favorite restaurants...EATS...on Ponce. Then we headed to the theater to catch a late showing of Narnia. We are huge Clive Staples Lewis fans and the Narnia series is dear to our hearts. We recently reread the entire series to prepare for the movie(we try to read them every couple of years). I look forward with anticipation to the days when Danny and Josh will snuggle up with Mommy and Daddy and read these books together. So, you can guess that we were thrilled to know the movies were being made and couldn't wait to see Prince Caspian. Upon leaving the theater, Scott and I seem to have the same response. We enjoyed it, but were a little disappointed. It is so hard to connect with a book on so many levels and then watch as the screenplay writers create scenes that never happened. And when so much of the Christian symbolism seems lost in the translation, it can be a let down. I give it high ratings for the special effects and the beauty of the scenery, but the story was not true to the book in many parts. I would guess that Mr. Lewis is rolling in his grave at the thought of creating random scenes and adding a love story that was not in his original plan. Why? Why, I ask, do movie makers feel the need to change something wonderful? The scenes that used original text seem to flow so well, but dialogue in the made of stuff seemed so contrived. I hate to be so critical, but I feel like the first movie was able to stay consistent with the book, so I had similar expectations for this movie.
Definitely worth watching in the theater if you liked the first movie, but if you love the books, prepare to be a little disappointed. I wonder if they will continue with the series and will they also butcher the Dawn Treader. I like that book the best, so I sure hope not!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see the updated photos.....love your blogging....keep it up....