Monday, July 6, 2009

Monday Musings - Independence Day

For this week’s Musings, instead of posting on one single topic, I’ve got several little nuggets this week relating to Independence Day. You may wonder what some of them have to do with Independence Day, but trust me, they do in my head.




  • After the results of last week’s survey, we decided to finally get a Wii yesterday. It’s awesome. I’ve already dominated Danny and Josh at bowling so bad they left crying when we were done. (Actually, they were probably just hungry, but I take my victories where I can get ‘em.) Question though - is it normal to wake up with sore arms and a hurt back just from playing a video game? Perhaps I’m just a little out of shape?


  • I want to publically applaud my sister on finishing in the top 24,792 runners in Saturday’s Peachtree Road Race. Before the race Anne boldly predicted you would do no better than 24,795th place, but I knew better.


  • Actually, after reading about the Peachtree again, I see that the third place guy was disqualified. So congrats again. You move up to 24,792 place!
This is a picture of the disqualified guy, not my sister. She's right behind him though.


  • Speaking of races, few people that know me would ever guess that my favorite non-football-related sporting event of the year is the Tour de France. I can’t get enough of it. I look forward to the Fourth of July every year because it marks the beginning of another three-week TDF. Not sure why I love it so much because I’m not a cycler myself. Don’t even own a bike. And I don’t really care for France much either. Maybe I like it because it’s yet another opportunity to see the French lose at something. And it always reminds me of this, which makes me laugh every time.

  • Something I think about sometimes: If we could get rid of one state in the union, which one would it be? In other words, if we could play Survivor with the 50 states, who would be the first voted off the island? I’m pretty confident it would be a toss-up between Arkansas and South Carolina.


  • If I were to ever run for president, I probably won’t win. Just lost 14 much-needed electoral votes when my opponent digs up this blog post.

  • And I’ll end on a rare serious note. We’ve all read it a million times, but have you ever stopped to really think about what this sentence in the Declaration of Independence means: “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” Our pastor made an off-hand comment in his sermon yesterday that there has never been a more significant line written in modern history than this one. I’ve never thought of it that way before, but he’s right. Go reread that line again and think about what each word means. Has there ever in the history of the world been another country founded on such a principle? How lucky we are to live in such a time and place as we do.


4 comments:

Mrs. Gaskill Rascal said...

Don't worry, you could still win....I mean we all just saw who won this past year. Anything's possible. Hope. Change. That I can believe in.

nana said...

very inspirational nuggets

Anonymous said...

If I wasn't one of your loyal readers, would Kentucky have replaced South Carolina on that list? Glad our friendship may have just saved my old Kentucky Home/ the Bluegrass from being voted into exile. Maybe Canada would have picked us up-- those people in the far regions/provinces aren't too different when compared to my family in eastern KY, just a different accent.

Can I nominate WV for consideration?

On another note, since this post is in celebration of Independence Day, and despite your dislike of the French, you must give them credit for their assistance in the Revolution, from the military and monetary support to the entire passages of Montesquieu that were lifted from "Spirit of the Laws" to the Declaration and Constitution.... :) I know it might be a stretch for you- so I will go ahead and say it: Merci beaucoup, et nous plaignons renommer les à « la liberté frit ».

Hillary "I may be a little left but I'm still more conservative than most people around here" Billingsley

Anonymous said...

Just in case-- I will translate for you: "Thank you very much, and we are sorry for renaming them Freedom Fries" -HB