Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I agree completely

So, I know I have said this before, but Danny is a very unusual little boy. We have so many conversations that I need to record on here. I think this blog could be filled with the things he says, but sometimes I am laughing so hard(or pondering deeply), that I do not think to write it down and therefore lose it forever. Yesterday afternoon we were talking all about heaven and death and sinners and God's sacrifice on the cross for our sins....ok, so this might sound like inappropriate content for a 3 1/2 year old, but he asks the questions. I just give the honest answers. To be a fly on the wall in our house would be proof that this boy finds joy all these topics. I sometimes think his acceptance and appreciation for truth is reflective of how God would like us to react as adults. But we carry all this baggage and experience that leaves us often hopeless and exhausted. Questioning is really good for us, but loneliness and despair is not. My enlightened son seems to trust God, yet he has a healthy questioning spirit. God has big plans for him.
But back to our conversation.
Danny was talking about what he wanted to do in heaven. He often talks about spending time with his Granddaddy and also helping God with the weather. I do not encourage the idea of what will happen after death. I tend to side on the "you have so much to do here first" attitude. I really do not want him focusing too much on his death, since the thought of losing my children is heart wrenching and painful(seriously, kid, stop talking about it). But last night was a first for this conversation.

"Mommy, when I get to heaven I want to snuggle God"

I mean, what do you say when that comes out of the mouth of your child?
I think it hit me that God does love us so much that he is just aching for us to WANT to snuggle him. I believe there is a healthy balance between a God who is Powerful, Mighty, All-knowing, Worthy of our worship AND this figure of our Heavenly Father who is wanting to wrap His Comfort around us in a heavenly embrace. The honest desire of a young child to be wrapped in the arms of Someone who loves him more than we have words to describe is incredible.
And I agree. But can we ask for it now? Why wait until heaven little boy? He is ready now.

1 comment:

nana said...

Danny really does get it. He has shared the story of salvation with us so many times. He knows he is a sinner (he even told a waitress that in Aruba) and he says he trusts Jesus....what more can I say, but PRAISE GOD!!