Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I am not waiting....I am enjoying.

I realized a day ago that I have finally come to peace about something and I know that God has given me a right spirit about a very important part of my life.

I have come to realize that this is my job now.
I could begin to give the job description, but list is ever-changing and incredibly long.
My job description could be wrapped up in one hyphenated, baggage-filled word.

My peace came this week when I realized that I needed to stop looking at this as a waiting place. As a teacher, I would take pride in doing my job well and gladly received the recognition for giving 100% in the classroom. Why can't that be the same here? I get it that we are not in this life for the recognition, but I do believe God calls us to work well and be proud of what we do within His will. I believe that it is ok to find joy in doing a job well, even when that job brings recognition and praise. Especially when we can turn and give God the credit for the gifts and talents we have. Just look at Proverbs 31 which is famous for speaking about a wife of noble character. So much of that scripture talks of the work of the woman and how she is deserving of praise.

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.

11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.

12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
(do I bring good to my husband? can he put his trust in me?)

13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
(I really do need to get out that sewing machine and learn how to use it)

14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
(or walmart, kroger, sams, and trader joes)

15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
(where can I get some of these servant girls? and my 6:30 wake up call qualifies as still dark)

16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
(just wish the dog would stop eating the tomatoes I plant)

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
(it is important to serve my community)

21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
(and uses those strong arms to shovel endlessly)

22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.

23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
(providing power to all of the land...er..uh...all of Virginia Power territory)

24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.

25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
(am I teaching my children to laugh?)

26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
(idleness equals many loads of laundry backed up in the laundry room)

28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
(can I get an amen to that?)

29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."

30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate
(go ahead, be proud of raising those children and caring for the household)

Proverbs 31:10-31(New International Version)

Ok, so I didn't intend to post that whole section of scripture, but it is a favorite and truly captures my heart right now. My attempts at couponing and saving money with the groceries is just me trying to be the best at my job. My desire for children who are respectful to their elders is just me trying to be the best at my job. The attempt to have good meals on the table, a clean house, and a welcoming home are just me trying to be the best at my job. And I am not going to get it right every time. But why can't I find joy in the moments that I do and celebrate it the same way I did my teaching profession? I can enjoy this stage of life and see that I am appreciated for what I have to offer in my home. And I can lean back on the trust that God will carry me through when it seems like my job is falling apart. But most of all thanking Him who gives me the gifts and qualities that make me successful.

I am a stay-at-home-mom.

3 comments:

Lindsey Hanes said...

I LOVE this, Anne. I'm not a stay-at-home mom, but it was so nice to be reminded that mothering is by far the most important job I have, and should be done with joy and excellence. Thank you!

Nana said...

God is smiling at you today (and always). You love your kids and husband (and dog) so well. Be proud (not prideful) of who God created you to be.

The Gaymons said...

Thanks for sharing this, Anne. I don't know how many times the last couple of weeks I have said to myself, "Working and being a mommy is so hard. But, being a full-time stay-at-home-mommy is hard, too." We just have to have joy in whatever the season. Keep on keepin' on, sister! You are doing a great job!