Thursday, July 29, 2010

Why is my kid smarter than me?

We have a new Kroger down the street from us.  It's shiny and new and full of free goodies today for the grand opening.  They gave us cake and a cart for my boys to push around the store.  It was a wonderful experience.
Until the end.
When they broke our van.

You see, we have this new-to-us van that has changed my life.  Automatic doors and endless space.  I love it.

They didn't mean to break it.  I guess I should have told the kind gentleman and lady carrying out my ton of groceries that I WILL CLOSE THE TRUNK.  No, you do not need slam all your body weight on my trunk door in an effort to close it for me.  There is a button for that.  I got it.

I also have got the bill coming my way.
Rumor has it that it will cost us about $400+ to fix it broken doors that will not stay down.  Now, ironically, I have to slam all my body weight against it to keep it down.

I went back to the store with a sleeping child in my arms and another sleepy child carrying a bowl of cherries.  I explained my situation to a manager.
Apparently, she thinks it is my fault for not telling the bag carrier.
Seriously?  My fault?

Through my tears I tried to explain to Danny that we are not going to be shopping there again. It is too painful to shop there and remember this.  All I wanted was a little sympathy.  I get that you can't be liable for it and you can't pay for it.  I guess that makes sense.
But then my little man starts to get sad about the thought of not going to this shiny new store again.
What about those kid size carts?  What about the cake mommy?

Then he says something profound.
"Mommy, we need to get someone to apologize to you, so that you can say 'it's ok!'"

Son, mommy isn't ready to say that yet.  I am still grieving the pain to our budget as we have to pay to fix something SOMEONE ELSE broke.
I need to forgive.
At least that's what Danny thinks.
And he is right.


update: as of 8pm this evening, the van is fixed.  thank you to all who prayed.  And the best part.....it was free.  Scott just reset all the locks and it started working again!

6 comments:

litl'amy said...

Oh Anne!
I am SO sorry! I can only imagine how painful those tears were! When I get mad I CRY with the best of them. It frustrates me just to hear your story! I know they aren't apologizing but I am! That stinks. Maybe try calling the store and talking to a different manager or take it a little higher. Praying for your feelings and pocketbooks!
Amy

MLS said...

Man....what a bum deal! I am so sorry this happened.
I love the grace and love Danny shows....precious.
These are those times when God is known to do the miraculous! Let's pray toward that end!
Lauren

Chip said...

File suit in small claims court. Don't take that BS from Kroger.

Nana said...

Danny is right....there is a lot we all need to learn about forgiveness. He is so wise.
At the same time ...there is a lot that Kroger needs to learn about customer service...

MCalhoun said...

That is AMAZING! What a blessing-- what a blessing that it turned out to be free, and what a blessing that Danny already knows a principle of forgiveness. To him it seemed so simple, but for me it's still complex and it shouldn't be. I would be just like you--feeling all that weight dumped on me, "What am I going to do now? How can this be fair?" and not letting it go very quickly.

The Gaymons said...

So glad that your van is feeling better and even more glad that mommy is feeling better!! Sweet, sweet boy, that Danny.