Thursday, October 16, 2008

friendly sign war

My official position is typically anti-yard signs or bumper stickers or t-shirts promoting your favorite candidate. Honestly, do you really think that your bumper sticker is going to change someone's mind...hmmm, she looks nice and she likes McCain, so therefore I think I like McCain. No. And yard signs are just asking for someone to egg your house. But I gave in a few weeks ago.
Yes, I put up a yard sign.
We have this neighbor who is very supportive of Obama and so she recruited her elementary age girls to go around and get neighbors to put up signs. I started to see a scattering of yards with Obama signs a few weeks ago. Another conservative neighbor of mine decided that we needed to even out the advertising and offered signs to a few people. I put one up. Scott cringes at it every time he drives up the driveway, but now we are just one of many neighbors stating their support in a candidate. I mean it is actually pretty funny as you drive down the street and see sign after sign. Our quiet little neighborhood has become an interesting study in the state of this election.
I want to make sure that this blog is just a place for family and friends to read about our boys and how our life in Richmond is going. I don't want my readers(ie: the 5 of you) to feel bombarded with political opinion. I also believe that my role as a Christian is to love my neighbor. And pushing my beliefs on them certainly won't achieve that purpose. God is not for politics. He is for people. Including the unborn child and Joe the plumber. I definitely disagree with Obama on so many levels, such as: abortion, taxes, health care, size of government, etc. I felt the need to let our neighbors know that we were not on the Obama band wagon.

This is like my little "blog yard" sign. Please don't egg my blog.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's hear it for all unborn children and even Joe the Plumber.
From another McCain/Palin supporter....in fact I will actually admit I have already voted!
Anne, Keep writing....and Scott, as far as the sign goes...get over it....love you both. :-)

The Gaymons said...

Way to go, Anne. No egging here!

Lauren said...

2 votes from the Train's! I laughed as I read this cause my mom did the same thing! Our neighbors on both sides had Obama signs, so my mom went and got a McCain sign...then someone stole it so she went and got two more. HA HA HA.