Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How would you feel?

Time for another Danny story....some day I want all my family and friends to be able to read this blog as proof that even at age 3 1/2 Danny was a very smart little boy. Here is a photo of my little question asker in serious mode.

And for me to post this story is a little difficult, because it does not paint a pretty picture of his mommy.  I think it pays to be honest though and through openness comes growth.  So here goes....

I was making breakfast one morning and was busy at the stove perfecting my oatmeal.  Danny wanted socks on and he wanted them on now.  I had very little time for things like putting on socks.  Especially since it was already warm outside and I would love to not have to wash another pair of socks.  So, after I told him to wait and I would help him later, Danny decided to take matters in his own hands and get his own socks from the drawer.  He comes downstairs and is whining about how one of the socks will not go on his feet.  I was already starting to feel myself get tense(it was only 8am...geez!) and so I told him he could wear those, but not for long, because they looked ugly with his outfit.  I know, I know.  There were so many better things I could have chosen to say.  Like, "good job on getting your own clothes" or "maybe white athletic socks would be better than those dressy colored socks with your play clothes".  We all have those moments when we say what we shouldn't and it is hard to turn back the clock on our poor choices.
Danny proceeds to take off crying for the upstairs.  If you live in a house with a 3 and a 2 year old, then you can understand why I didn't chase after him.  They cry all the time about all sorts of silly things and sometimes they just need their space.  After about a minute of screams and cries I realize he is really upset and I call up the stairs to him.  Danny whimpers his way down the stairs and stops half way "Mommy, I need to tell you something" 
uhoh. 
"How would you feel if someone told you that your socks looked ugly?"
what?

ok, I have lots of experience with preschool age children and I know that they are not capable of reasoning at that level in most situations.  Most children do not understand beyond their own troubles enough to ask you how you would feel if it happened to you.  They still live in a "me-centered" world.  Apparently mine is a little beyond his age. 
And is it possible that my 3 1/2 year old was disciplining me that day?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

shawn went with us to the aquarium sunday and he wore his dress socks and had them pulled all the way up :)
michelle

MLS said...

Thank you for being so transparent about your mistakes....that is beautiful.
Danny is really a cool little guy. I think God has big things ahead for him!

nana said...

Remember your pink boots that Grandma bought for you???? I apologize for ever calling them "ugly".